March 20, 2009

Why I Blog

For almost the last two years I have been an avid blogger. I enjoy it and oddly enough it brings sanity to my otherwise hectic life as a new mom, wife, and human resource professional (all in that order). Blogging has done a number of things for my career and personal life since I made my first blog post.
  • Subject Matter Expert. Done correctly an effective blog that provides solid and credible information can make you a subject matter expert leading to new opportunities like interviews, speaking engagements, and consulting opportunities. Since beginning to blog I've had the chance to do all three.
  • Develop Your Brand. As a blogger you control the content allowing for as little or as much of your personal life and your style to be demonstrated through your blog. Some bloggers choose to provide as little information about themselves as possible. The Evil HR Lady is a perfect example. Her blog is a great resource and also provides the reader little personal information about her. Her mysterious nature and anonymity is part of her personal brand essence.
  • Personal Growth. Managing a blog, your family, your career, and personal life all take time. My blog has allowed me to learn what's most important while gaining valuable experience in time management and professional development. Sometimes my blog posts are experiences out of real life and other times they are not.
  • The Power of Social Media. My blog has is opened doors that I had only dreamed. I am a firm believer in the use of social media to help build your brand through viral social media marketing. I've developed strong personal and professional relationships with individuals around the globe with whom I would likely not have met.
  • Confidence. And a belief that through hard work, proper planning and preparation, and a great support system that anything is possible.
Did I mention I'm an optimist?

Happy Hunting!

Jessica