March 6, 2009

Creative or Overbearing Job Search Tactic: You Decide!

It's no secret that the job market is flooded with qualified professionals who are eager to work. Earlier today I received an interesting email from a first level LinkedIn contact who is currently in the job search. Receiving an email like this is not unusual given my profession, however, this particular communication caught my attention.

Hello - You are receiving this email because you are on my first level of LinkedIn connections. I am looking for a new career opportunity and I'd like to ask for your help to reach beyond my network to find it. I am offering a reward of $250 to the person that finds me the job I land as an expression of my gratitude for your help. Just refer me to an opening, introduce me to the hiring manager, or get my foot in the door somehow and when I land the job you get the $250 reward.

With the current market, I ask, is $250 really enough? Done correctly, an email like this could really make an impression to someone you network with virtually that you may not have had a personal face to face relationship with. Readers, what are your thoughts? How are you using your social media networks while in the job search? Leave your comments below.