May 27, 2008

B4J's Tip of the Week: What Your Voicemail Says About You. . .

Small things matter to a recruiter. It's the small things that can make a huge impression like direct eye contact, a handshake, and your voicemail message.

Your voicemail message is often your first contact with your new prospective employer. How do you want to make a first impression? It has happened a time or two when I haven't left a message simply because of a voicemail message that was inappropriate or vulgar from a prospective candidate. I'm not talking about the message you leave me when you return my call, but the message on your phone that I hear before anything else when I leave my first message.

Petty, maybe, but unfortunately it's the way the world works. I recommend keeping your message clean and simple, "Hello. You've reached Cindy Smith's voicemail. Please leave your name and number and I will return your call as soon as possible." Leave the answer tone music and other comments to the kids.