May 12, 2008

Ask the Recruiter--8 mo. Job Search

Dear bloggingforjobs,

I've been in the job search for 8 months. I've applied for over 150 jobs and interviewed 25 different times. I'm so fed up, frustrated, and feel like a failure. Can you please help me?

Jobless

**********************************************************

Dear Jobless,

I'm sorry you've been in the job hunt for so long. Depending upon the position you are looking for, your city's job market, your qualifications and salary requirements, it can be a long process. As a rule of thumb for every $10,000 you will make in salary, add a month to your job search. For example, if you are in the $60,000 salary range, be prepared for your job search to last at least 6 months.

Since I have little information to go on, I recommend attending a resume and interview training. Many vo-techs or community colleges offer these free of charge or at low cost. If you are an executive level or above, I would recommend working with a Job Coach. Many firms provide you professional job search software, resume writing, and interview training for a fee of 10-15% of your new job's annual salary. The service is not cheap, but these coaches are very connected and their job is to find you a job whether its in your current industry or not.

I also recommend reading up on industry requirements and new technology. Sometimes advanced training or certification can make all the difference. Volunteering is also a great way to develop relationships and partnerships that can aid in your job search. Take a look at my post on the 5 P's of Marketing and creating a marketing plan that will help you in your job search.

Stay positive and best of luck in your search,

Jessica