August 21, 2008

Resume Don't

Just yesterday received a resume via fax from a candidate who is interested in a career opportunity. I spent less than 5 seconds glancing at her resume before something stopped me in my tracks, the objective.

OBJECTIVE: To work for a company that uses my many years of experience in fast food in either management or administrative in a position with your company. If given the chance I will meet expectations in a position with your company and use my experience in fast food and vocational school to the best of my ability.

And to this I ask---WHY? This objective is long and rambles in addition to not getting to the point. Personally, I am not a fan of the Objective. I think it is a waste of valuable marketing space on your resume. Your coverletter can do a much better job of highlight your interest and focusing on any qualifications or characteristics that you feel set you apart from other candidates for the job. If you decide to include an Objective, make sure the objective directly relates to the position you are applying for. Don't be lazy and lump your administrative and management aspirations in the same objective. A resume is a marketing piece that is designed to grab the attention of the hiring manager much like a billboard or commercial does and in a short period of time, roughly 10-15 seconds.

As I mentioned before, I am not a fan of Objectives but if you choose to include one here is an example of one that in my opinion is acceptable.

OBJECTIVE: To secure a challenging position where skills, motivation,and performance will be utilized for mutual profit.

This is short, sweet, and to the point. Happy Hunting!!